Thursday, September 11, 2014

Stolen

Today was rough. It always is. I try to find out ways to get out of my head, and after my morning run, I got just that. Mo texted me and asked if her glucometer was at home. I looked around and texted back no. Then I went outside and tore apart the car. It wasn't there either. My phone started ringing and it was the school nurse calling to tell me she had lost her glucometer. Mo was almost inconsolable. She swore it was in her backpack when we left for school that morning. I presented to her the possibility that....

... someone stole it.

Yes. Someone probably thought it was a wallet because she didn't have a normal cover for er glucometer. It looks like a little zippered bag covered in faux leather with multicolored peace signs embroidered on it. It's cute. She loved it. Now it's gone.

This isn't the first time things have been stolen at this school. Eldest has had a total of 6 things stolen from her including one of her phones. It is ridiculous. Now my child with a chronic illness is without her medical equipment, equipment that logs her glucose levels so the information can be downloaded by her endocrinologist at appointments. I assured Mo I'd get her a new glucometer so she'd calm down, but there was another problem.

What if someone takes the finger stick and starts stabbing other students?

Each glucometer has a device that pokes your finger or arm and lets you get a small blood sample. If someone was to be an asshole, they could take the finger stick, dial it up to say 11, and start jabbing other students. Problem with that is cross contamination and a shared needle.(Because I doubt the thief would take the time to change out the lancets.) The nurse called for an administrator and I explained why I was worried. As a parent, the thought of my child getting jabbed with a dirty needle is frightening even though two of my children take shots daily with clean needles daily. I cannot imagine what a normal parent would do if they got a call saying their child was stabbed with a dirty needle. Unfortunately, the administrator didn't think that was something to be concerned with, and she bid me adeiu after I gave her a description of it.

SERIOUSLY???

So I gathered up Mo, checked her out of school, and we went off to buy her a new glucometer with the intent to leave it in the nurses office instead of carrying it around like she should. It is ridiculous that my medically needy child is unable to carry her medical equipment because of the fear of theft. Now she'll have to ask to go to the school clinic if she feels low or high. Yet again... ridiculous. 

I imagine what ever soulless thief filched Mo's glucometer was disappointed at it not being what they thought it was, and threw it in the garbage so as not to be caught with the evidence. I hope karma kicks them squarely in the ass. A stolen wallet is easy to replace in high school. A stolen piece of medical equipment? That's just shitty. 

But what isn't shitty is when I took Mo to Sephora so she could get an eye makeup lesson and her first make up. I am teaching her that retail therapy helps everything!


No comments: