Thursday, August 28, 2014

Ice Ice Baby!

All I see on the internet is the ALS(Lou Gehrig's Disease) Ice Bucket Challenge. It's good to see charities thinking outside of the box when it comes to fund raising. It has netted 79+ million dollars. That's amazing. I applaud the good folks at the ALS and everyone who has done the ice bucket challenge or some variation there of. However, it should be noted that......

I am NEVER going to do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. It isn't happening.

Why, you ask? Well, I'll tell ya. If you haven't been here before, I am mom to two type 1 insulin dependent diabetics. The JDRF is near & dear to my heart! I have walked, skated, donated, you name it! Heck, when the kids were playing roller derby, there was even a Junior Bout that benefited the JDRF. 

Now that I'm running, I decided that I would run for charity rather than just pay the entrance fee. That means I commit to raising a certain amount of money for the charity. That charity turns out to be the Noah's Light Foundation and they raise money for pediatric brain cancer research. 


On October 4th, at 10pm, in Disney's Hollywood Studios I will be running in the Tower of Terror 10 Miler..... dressed as Ursula the Sea Witch (the runner's version). I will have raised $750.00 for this honor. I have been training since the middle of July, in Florida, in the heat, and I found a training route that is all UP HILL! I'm a glutton for punishment like that. I'm taking my #RunFatGirlRun hashtag to the people and my jiggle to the race course!

So, dear readers, I have to respectfully decline any and all Ice Bucket Challenges for ALS. Not because I'm a jerk, and not because I don't care, but because I am already putting my money and my body on the line for two very deserving charities. 

And I only do ice over a nice 3 fingers of Kentucky Bourbon.


1 comment:

Christina LMT said...

Good for you! You put your money where your mouth is (or your feet where your money is, or...oh, you get what I mean!)

You really need to see Sir Patrick Stewart's Ice Bucket Challenge. Classy and hilarious. And right up your alley.