Monday, April 7, 2014

#RunFatGirlRun!

That's my hashtag. 

I've been using it ever since my first race at Disney. Several folks have been asking why I am degrading myself by basically calling myself fat. I have never looked at it that way. I have been a bigger woman most of my life, starting when I was 11. My sister left for the Army and I didn't realize I was replacing her with cookies. It went on through High School until I had a summer that was PACKED with club and camp activities. Being on a constant run kept me from stuffing my maw with food. I was a size 9 those next 3 years. My sophomore year in college saw a rise in the scale. Later when I began to have kids things went even higher. I started roller derby when I was 36 and got into the best adult shape of my life, but once I retired the pounds came back. What can I say? I enjoy good food. I'll never be sorry about that.

So I started running.... well, walking/running. I'm not the fastest, but I get along pretty well. I'm a big woman, still I can complete a 5K. I'm practicing for a 10 mile run in October for a children's cancer charity! I don't give up. I push and keep going. I am proud that I'm fat, but I run anyway. You can glance at me and dismiss my effort all you want, I don't give a shit.


  • I want to live life to the fullest! 
  • I want to eat that dessert! 
  • I want to drink that fruity umbrella drink!
  • I want to dance as I run down the road!
  • I want to sing when I run!
  • I want to tell other people I meet running that they rock my socks off!

I can do ALL THOSE THINGS even though I'm fat.  My #RunFatGirlRun hashtag is about all that and more! I can be fat, and live. I can be fat, and love. I can be fat, and run. The only thing that can stop me is me, and I'm not gonna let THAT happen.

So, #RunFatGirlRun is my way of embracing who and what I am, a human being who has a bit more padding in places! Take it or leave it, but my using that hashtag takes away the power of those who might call me fat derisively. 

#RunFatGirlRun

(If you would like to sponsor me with a buck or two, my donation page is here. All the money I raise will go to the Noah's Light Foundation for children with Brain cancer.)

No comments: