Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sad



Today I heard the news that John Henson passed away. He is the son of the late Jim Henson of Muppet fame. He worked in his father's company with his siblings and was Sweetums. He passed at the age of 48. Much too young, like his father, he slipped the surly bonds of Earth to entertain in heaven, or so I think. One can never tell about those things.

As sad as it is, death is nothing new. What also wasn't new was where I was when I found out.

We were at Disney World. Back in 1990 when Jim Henson died, I was at Disney World. News traveled pretty slow back then, but because Disney had just put in Muppet Vision 3D the bad tidings spread throughout the parks quickly. I remember feeling devastated. My generation learned their ABC's, Math, & how to be a good friend from Jim's darling, Sesame Street. I cried in Muppet Vision when Kermit sang "It's Not Easy Being Green." Now Sweetums is gone too, and I learned the terrible news yet again iwhile at the Happiest Place On Earth. 

Sometimes the world just isn't fair, (and coincidental, and creepy, and heartbreaking) and that stinks.

RIP John. Say hi to your Dad for us.

No comments: