After all the crap of the last 2 weeks, I have been mostly holding in something pretty awful that was happening alongside my faux pas.... I almost went blind. No, it wasn't from me running with scissors, or using a Red Ryder BB Gun.... it was mostly my own fault. I have worn contacts since I was 13. When I was told I'd need glasses in 7th grade, I was excited... till I went to school and was bullied. 4 eyes. Nerd. Geek. And you have to remember that back then? That was not an awesome thing like it is today. As soon as the doctor said I was old enough, I hit the contact lens band wagon. I have always worn them and only used my glasses for before bed so I could see to brush my teeth. I also never had any trouble with them. I put them in, took them out, and cleaned them regularly. Over the years, time & money has dictated when I get my contacts updated, and I will be the first one to admit I try to make those little pieces of plastic stretch farther than they should. I'm more inclined to send my kids to get their eye exams than go for myself. I finally did go a few weeks ago. I was starting to not be able to wear my contacts more than 7 hours at a time and by the end of the day they were painful! My vision was blurry more often than not. I finally got an appointment with my kid's eye doc and my first clue that I was in trouble was the pre exam where the guy asked me if I had a really bad astigmatism. Yes, I have an astigmatism, but it was never that bad. I get into the chair, the guy does his thing with the old "Which is better, 1 or 2?" deal and after getting WAY close to my eyeballs, turns to me and say... "Your eyes are so inflamed and swollen they are in danger of rupturing." Uh, holiday-whoobie-whaty Yup. I had an infection on both eyes. The pain? Corneal abrasions. Not being able to wear my contacts longer than 7 hours? My eyes had swollen to the point that they no longer fit at all. I was told I couldn't get a new eye script until following a 7 day regimen of eye drops and throwing away ALL of my contacts, solution bottles, cases, etc. EVERYTHING! Oh. Joy. Now? I had them rig up my old glasses (10 years) and I started dropping shit in my eyes like it was crack. One of my fears in life? Not being able to see. So I dropped drops in my eyes right on time, every time! Even during the frackas I created, I still dropped it like it was hot. I can get another job. I can't replace my eyes. (OK yeah you can replace parts of your eyes, but that wasn't going to be an option for me.) So, we go back a week later. I'm super nervous. I get in the chair and after the "1 or 2" deal, I get approved for new glasses. A week ago, my eyes were so swollen even if I had gotten a prescription for new lenses, it wouldn't have done any good because after the swelling went down my prescription would change again. As long as I didn't skip any of the rest of my drops, I was no longer in danger of having my eyeballs pop like grapes in a press! I got new glasses and a trial pair of contacts I haven't tried yet. Maybe I'm a little gun shy. So in the midst of personal tragedy I had a moment of clarity on what's really important. People make mistakes. Some big, some small, and some that could change the way you look at the world. Being able to see the people who love me? Priceless.
...one year later. Nothing has changed. I'm not surprised. We just can't win. Seriously. We just can't. One step forward & two steps back every fucking time. I should be used to it. We should be used to it. You never get used to it. Ever.
I've been on Twitter and Facebook lately mentioning a girl who has the puppy love for our son, Junior. At first I thought it was cute, but lately.... I'm starting to think differently. Here's how it went down.... In September, a girl in Junior's classes started taking a shine to him. What can I say... my son is a hottie! Anywho, she "walked"(followed) him home from school one afternoon. I suspect this was to find out where he lived. She sat outside and talked to him for about 30 minutes then she went home. It eventually turned out that she got in trouble for walking home with him and was grounded for a week. Then a week later she came over again, this time with permission, and invited Junior to her brother's birthday party... that was happening in one hour.... even though Junior didn't know who her brother even was! We had to decline that invite, but Junior instead invited her to come over on that Sunday to play video games. She accepted. Everything went well. He sent her off on her merry way later. She had asked Junior for his phone number as well and she's been calling quite a bit. This is cute and all, but there's just one problem... Junior isn't interested. He's just not into girls right now. I'm sure he will be into girls eventually, but right now he's more into video games, and YouTube videos of game hacks, and bikes, and stuff of that nature. Girls are still icky and gross. Girls remind him of his sisters and how they bug the crap out of him. He is trying SO HARD not to hurt her feelings. Today when HHH and I came home from work the girl was standing on our front porch, waiting for Junior to come out and talk to her. Sigh... Love is hard, yo!
Wow! Been so busy with work and family, I haven't written diddly squat! What the hell?!?
Let's list everything I've been doing:
1. I work work work from 8-4:30. Now that i have my own truck with which to operate, I've been going out on my own calls. Boss Man seems very happy with my progress at the 30 day mark. This bodes well for me.
2. My truck is one of those Transits. It's the weird high topped mini vans you see out on the road with either a plumbing company, electircal company, or AC company logos on it. It is the smallest of all our company vans. I have affectionately come to call it 'Mini Me' but when you see our vans all parked together, it looks lile Papa Bear, Mama Bear, & Baby Bear! Too funny!
3. My cleaning clients consist of short term corporate executives, people coming In to the area for medical reasons, and military personel visiting from other countries. On Tuesdays I clean for people from Nigeria. On Wednesday I clean for the Chinese Army. ( No, I am not kidding!) Fridays are British Military cleans. In the middle of all that, I get to fluff and reset other units all over the Tampa, St. Pete, and Pinellas areas. It's a very multi cultural thing!
4. I dropped off 2 more HUGE bags of linens and towels to the animal shelter last week. I really enjoy doing thay.
5. HHH worked on our front porch last weekend. We pressure washed the concrete, painted it with Restore, and I was able to aquire some new patio furniture. The landlord loved it! We just made her maintenance/handy man look bad. Oops!
6. I think there's a velociraptor out by where I work. Either that, or these a damn bird with a call that sounds just like a velociraptor! Creepy.
And thats just a smattering of what went on since September 29th.