Tuesday, July 30, 2013

KILLER!

So I was walking the dogs for their mid morning poop walk, and I heard a noise. It was kind of a loud "THWOP!" Then I heard a cicada screech. I followed the noises and found THIS going on in the grass....


Yup. Huge wasp. The wasp had targeted a flying cicada, tackled it in mid air, and took it down to the ground like a blocker tackling a jammer mid jam! I shooed the dogs away from the area and went inside to look up said wasp. and I found out it was a Cicada Killer Wasp. Neat, in a creepy, ewww sort of way. Since I have a passing allergy to wasp & bug stings, I looked for more info and read this...

Although cicada killers are large, female cicada killer wasps are not aggressive and rarely sting unless they are grasped roughly, stepped upon with bare feet, or caught in clothing, etc.


They are generally non aggressive. Good. They won't mess with me, and I won't mess with them. I also noted that Cicada Killers nest in dry, sandy soil. All the dirt around our place is pretty wet due to all the rain we have been getting and the fact that we have poor drainage. That female was probably out hunting for something to take back to her nest, and it looks like she found it!

Well, I will be keeping an eye out for this 2 to 3 inch long wasp. I can't guarantee I won't do the "crazy white lady dance" if one comes by my head too closely!! 

And Dave, You thought the cicadas were bad!!

1 comment:

Dave2 said...

Yep. I pretty much want to die now.