Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Devious

Everyone knows I'm a cleaning lady. Yeah yeah... I've worn a lot of caps in my life, but cleaning lady seems to stick around. In the process of doing this job I've seen pretty much anything and everything. I was even party witness to one clients suicide. Cleaning up after the elite of society is a messy business, so you can imagine my surprise when Lifetime Network came out with the new summer show "Devious Maids". I thought to myself 'Finally! A show about us folk who clean up the messes in life!' Unfortunately, 



It sucked.

All I saw was stereo type after stereo type. The poor Latino maid struggling against life in the immaculate home of her betters. The snooty second wife of the business man who treats her help like animals. The maids were cleaning in HIGH HEELS! One of them was even cleaning in a pretty dress & full make up!  All they needed was Consuela from Family Guy and the casting would have been complete! My favorite line from the  show had to be...

"I don't care about the photos and the evidence! My maid has just been MURDERED! There's blood everywhere! (in a hushed voice) Who's going to clean all this up?"



Yeah. That was the only part of the show that rung true for me. The employers of those maids were self involved, degrading, and asinine! I saw that a lot in Bradenton, Sarasota, and Fish Hawk. Luckily the nice clients balanced out the crazy ones! (Remember the guy who wanted me to go out in a possible tornado to retrieve his gas grill?) The whole thing boiled down to the murdered maid saw something she shouldn't have and was killed, supposedly by a hired bartender, landing in the client's pool. At the funeral we see the other maids from the neighborhood whispering in hushed tones that the dead maid should have kept her "secrets". Add that to a new maid on the block who is sort of investigating the death, and you have, what a friend of mine correctly identified as "Desperate Housewives with a mop." And that's what it totally looked like.

Just know, if I am ever in your house cleaning, there will be no secrets, hanky panky, or blackmailing. Now, making fun of you ruthlessly on social media for your weird habits? I'll totally do that!

2 comments:

Dave2 said...

You honestly thought this was going to be an accurate portrayal of the maid business? Dreamer! It's television! :-D

Megan said...

The maid was murdered by the bartender? This sounds like a bad mystery novel...