Sunday, March 31, 2013

Arguing With Idiots.


Last night I was bumming around on Twitter waiting for my kids to go to sleep so I could put their Easter Baskets out and for the umpteenth time I saw someone on Twitter...

"Dear World, Easter Sunday. Not about the bunny. It's about Jesus Christ going to the cross w/ the weight of all our sin so we can be free."

And suddenly I was just so tired. Yes, I understand Christianity says this "holiday" is about Jesus dying for the sins of man, yadda yadda yadda. I get that. I went to church as a kid. I attended Sunday school. What I don't get is Christianity's intolerance for other people who don't believe what other's are spouting. Maybe they're of a different religion. Maybe they're Atheists. So I tweeted back politely...

"Unless that isn't your religion, then it's just Sunday with chocolate."

And I thought that was that. Wrong-o. I wasn't denying this person their right to believe and celebrate Easter how they wanted, I was just contesting the fact that it seemed as if they were taking it upon themselves to "educate" the rest of us about what the holiday is SUPPOSED to mean. So then I get this back...

"Without Jesus & w/o His sacrifice for us it is nothing. And that possibility is very, very, eternally sad."

And I'm just a little put off. Totally missed the point I was making. So I try again...

"Unless it isn't your religion. Respecting others doesn't have to be about forcing your beliefs on them. Have a wonderful holiday"

And still I get....

"No disrespect & I'm certainly not forcing my beliefs on anyone. Just speaking about . It's not the chocolate."

So I figure, fuck it. Some folks can talk a great game when it comes to tolerance, and living in harmony with the world, but when it comes down to brass tacks, they want it their way or the highway. Those wide sweeping tweets folks make in an effort to educate the "world" are just as offensive as when tweets are made lumping all political parties in to a catagory, or when women lump all men into the lying dog catagory, etc etc etc. I'm sure this person will have chocolate in their kid's basket after they go to church. I imagine they will hunt eggs and have a nice meal. Then they will look down their collective noses at the rest of us who just don't believe the way they believe. So I left it with.....

"Only for you & people of your beliefs. Some of us aren't wired up that way. Have a lovely holiday."

And I went to bed. Later this morning, after my kids slept in and had chocolate for breakfast, I saw that the person I was polite to had to have the last word...

"Thanks so much! I'll be praying for you!"

Sheesh. You can't win, but then it isn't about winning. It's about coexistence. 





No comments: