Friday, February 1, 2013

Find Your Derby Happy.

It hasn't even been a week. It's only been 4 days. 4 DAYS!!! 

My new Renegade Roller Derby team has been formed for 4 whole days and already I have had word from people in derby circles that the new coaches and board of directors of my last team, the PCDD/Revolution RD have threatened the skaters. They are saying if any of them come and try to skate with us, even part time, they will face repercussions from the BOD and sanctions from the league.

Wow. Just.... wow.

I am disappointed. Disappointed that a group of closed minded individuals have decided to write off a form of roller derby that they have never even played. Disappointed that people are giving grown adults a "My way or the highway." ultimatum. Disappointed that, in one case, it almost feels like a personal attack on me because of the shit I stirred a month or so ago at a former league when I called them on their bullshit.

This is not the roller derby we present to newcomers when we have recruiting events. We put forth an all inclusive, non discriminatory league when folks ask us about what we see in/get out of roller derby. That's all well and good, but if you don't put your money where your mouth is, it begins to ring hollow after a while. 
I wanted to start a team where everyone has a say in what this league does. I wanted to start a team where the love of the game doesn't get eclipsed by the bullshit maneuvering that Coaches & Boards of Directors usually end up doing. I wanted to start a team that plays not because they need attendance points but because they love playing the game. 

Work hard, play hard, kick ass, have fun. Seems like a simple idea, but apparently not one that is embraced by the other forms of derby. 

Game on!

No comments: