Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Gift.

This Christmas has been hard. We have close to 0 money to buy the kids anything. Thank GOD for friends. Two of the most amazing angels helped me out. It would have been a bare bones Christmas without their help! The one gift we did have already was a nice pellet gun pistol for my son. It wasn't a cheap plastic one. It was a heavy metal gun that only shoots plastic pellets. It doesn't shoot BB's or bullets of any kind. We got it for him with the only $ we had left from HHH's check after paying for all our bills. It wasn't expensive either. $30 for the gun, pellets, & a package of Zombie targets. (He really likes picking off zombies in COD:BO.) We were excited to give him that gift. It's been wrapped & under the tree since Thursday of last week.

Then Sandy Hook happened.

We still plan on giving Jr. his gift. HHH is ex Navy and had sharp shooter commendations during his time served. He was planning to show Jr. how to shoot, proper gun etiquette, and safe gun handling. It was supposed to be a bonding experience for father & son.  

Don't get me wrong, I feel the gravity of what happened. I can't help but tear up at the news since it is pretty much all Sandy Hook Massacre coverage. I don't think taking away all the guns will help, just like I don't believe that locking up all the mentally ill people will help either. This isn't something we can slap a band aid on and feel better. It's going to take time, heartfelt discussions, and agreement on both sides of the political fence, and we all see where THAT'S been going when it comes to America's Fiscal Cliff! I do believe that responsible gun ownership starts early, with proper education of what guns are for. Note, I am NOT saying we should all own guns. There are most definitely people out there who have no business owning a gun, just like there are people who have no business owning a pair of liquid silver spandex leggings, (cough, cough,...ahem.). We have to be responsible. There have to be background checks. There have to be fingerprints on file. There have to be consequences for improper use of guns.

So, come Christmas morning, Jr is going to open his gifts and hopefully he will be excited to learn a new skill. Heck, shooting is an Olympic sport! Let's not let a primal reaction to a horrific tragedy rule us.

My son will be getting his first gun for Christmas, and I'm ok with that.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I find it very interesting the different way that people who have had to handle guns for a living view them. HHH wants to teach your son proper handling, etc., whereas my husband will not allow (and I'm with him on this) my son to have any kind of toy gun or play video games that include shooting.

Different strokes, right? :)

Christina LMT said...

Thank you for writing this. I appreciate it. Megan, does your son know what to do if he encounters a gun somewhere? At a friend's house, maybe? Having safety talks about guns/weapons is important, just like knowing what to do in case of a fire, etc. :)