Friday, December 7, 2012

Flattened!


My kids live in walking distance of their schools. Yep. All of my kids are less than a mile from each of their schools and they walk every day. This makes me both happy & fearful. Happy because being able to walk & talk with friends after school is a rite of passage when you're young and walking is great exercise in our society that is excessively overweight(Not my kids though.), but fearful because the people who possess driver's licenses these days are complete morons. I let the two oldest walk alone because they are wiser and I have drilled into them how to be careful when crossing roads, to always use the crosswalk signales  and to be aware of their surroundings, but with Junior, I walk with him. He's 10 and I just like having the time to talk about safety, school, and stuff in general.

As I was walking back from the school I was almost flattened by a driver who was making a right turn on a red light, totally disregarding me crossing with the Walk Signal.
I was almost flattened.

I'd like to say that this is unusual, that drivers are careful and conscientious, that just crossing the street is a simple affair involving the push of a crosswalk signal button, a light change, and a stroll across the street, but I can't. Most drivers I see lately are in a hurry, distracted, and have tunnel vision. They only see the destination, not the surroundings, surroundings that include pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcycles. Yesterday in the Tampa Bay area, 3 pedestrians were killed in a 24 hour period. That's horrible! For the week, there have been 7 serious crashes involving pedestrians with 3 of those being fatal! Now, not all of those were at specified crosswalks. A few of them were people not exercising good judgement. There are safety issues that both the drivers and pedestrians need to address, but in my personal situation? I was in a clearly marked crosswalk. I had the "WALK" signal. The traffic light was also in my favor. The woman driving disregarded all of those things and it wasn't till I screamed at her that she noticed me, the crosswalk, and the crossing guards.

Yeah, I was crossing at a guarded crosswalk because it's right next to the school.

It's ridiculous. What if it had been a child the woman almost ran over? At least I'm an adult, who is bigger, faster, and stronger than a little kid. I can just bet you if she had hit me I'd have gotten up on my bloody stumps, dragged her worthless ass out of her window, and beat the shit out of her with my severed appendages! Yeah... this pisses me off just that much!! 

Listen folks. It isn't difficult. Just STOP at the stoplight, look both ways, and if possible, THEN turn. Don't let your hurry kill someone. It will ruin everyone involved's lives.

The life you save may be your own, especially if you hit ME!





2 comments:

Megan said...

What was the crossing guard doing? Did he or she almost get nailed too?

Sadly this doesn't surprise me. You don't live down this way, but ugh. People can be brutal.

Poppy said...

In New York City there are no rights on red unless specifically designated as permitted. I like this very much.

I am glad you're ok.