Monday, November 5, 2012

Looks

I'm a 40 year old woman. I live with my family. I am married to a man and I have 3 children. We don't make a lot of money, but usually we aren't poor. I play a team sport which is very difficult. Over the last two weeks I have been judged by strangers & friends alike.  Judged for things like...


  • Whether or not I was registered to vote.
  • Whether or not I was allowed to vote.
  • Whether or not I was capable to parent my kids.
  • Whether or not I was making sound medical decisions for my children.
  • Whether or not I was a lesbian.
  • Whether or not I was a drama llama.
  • Whether or not I was allowed to say what I wanted on MY social media outlets.

It's ridiculous. I should be able to look however I want without an older couple assuming I'm not registered to vote because I have green hair. I should be able to wear what I want without conservative neighbors whispering about me being a lesbian. I should be able to say what I want on my social media outlets without being attacked by "friends" saying I am a drama llama and maybe I do something to deserve the bad things that happen to me. My husband says we never leave high school and perhaps he's right, but I hope for a future where my children can look, do, and be anything they want without the fear of someone talking about them behind their back in furtive whispers. 

It's not the outsides that count.... it's what's inside. Everything else is just glamour.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Gah. People have such need to compartmentalize others, and when you don't fit into one of their preferred boxes, they find one for you.

Don't worry about their boxes. Be you, green hair and roller derby and whatever. You are enough. xo

Poppy said...

People mistake me for a lesbian a lot. I don't have green hair. I'm just a strong woman.

Whenever I feel overly judged by the rest of the world I do tend to shut them out. Right or wrong, fair or not, it's what I do. But I never change who I am for anyone.