- Got a call on Monday from the school health aide. She asks me if I knew I was doing my son's carb counts wrong. I explain to her that , No, I am not doing it "wrong" and that I am doing the carb counts exactly like I was taught in the Endocrinologist's office by their licensed & certified nutritionist.
- To illustrate this teaching, I started writing out my son's carb calculations on his lunch note. Usually I write how many carbs his lunch is and then how many units of insulin it equals out to, eg- 77 carbs = 5 units. Now I write Sandwich=15 carbs, chips=13 carbs, etc.... add it up and divide by 15(carbs per units as prescribed by the Dr.)
- The RN who oversees Jr's school seems to think I should be giving an extra unit to cover the loose carbs that are trapped in the decimal point because I rarely have the equation come out even. That would be great except the loose carbs never add up to 15 and the Dr said not to cover it and possibly induce a dramatic low in class. (Remember-the school won't do crap for you except call 911.)
- I thought after speaking to the Health Aide and offering to have her have the RN call me if she had any questions was the end of it. Apparently I was wrong.
- I get a call on Wednesday from my kid's Endocrinology office. Seems someone from the school had called them asking for something in my son's diabetes plan to be changed.
- It was late on Wednesday when I got that call, so no one was at the school anymore. Fine. I'll call on Thursday.
- I call to get a meeting with the principal, but before the meeting I go higher up on the food chain to the head of student services. That woman was of no use. She belittled me for my concern about someone trying to get my son's Dr. to change his medical plan behind my back. Apparently when I signed a form saying they could access my son's medical records it also gives them permission to approach my son's Dr independent of my wishes.
- I call BULLSHIT on that.
- After thinking I was out of options except to protest in the school board offices & possibly get arrested, the school principal calls and is the only human being who apologized for me for the fact that I wasn't kept in the loop. He also assured me that the break down happened when he asked the RN to place a call (meaning to ME!) and get an explanation. The RN did not call me, but went over my head to the Dr. (Supposedly to catch me lying or miscalculating the carb ratio, but the Dr. office backed me up 100%.) Finally he said if there was ever any other question about my son's health I would get the first call.
Now, was that so difficult? I should not have had to go through 3 people before finally hearing someone say they were sorry. I also should not have had to hear "It's my way or the highway." from the Superintendent's office when it comes to me wanting to be included in any Dr. office calls. I am his parent, that is my right. I have been fighting with this RN ever since school started and I swear I'd just wash my hands at the whole thing and request a switch of schools if it wasn't for the quality education my son is getting this year. He's also class Vice President and likes his teacher very much. For that reason alone I will put up with this BS.
Still, I am gonna unleash the roller girl on their asses if they try this hinkey shit again!