Monday, November 7, 2011

Looks.


So as you all know, Friday my son was given a candy that has been recalled by the FDA back in 2001-2002. I went back to the school to tell the office staff and avert a possible disaster. I was treated with less that courtesy even as I was showing the school officials the FDA website that backed up my statements.

Now, good people, why was this? Why did they not take me seriously? Why did I get shushed?? I went over and over and over the moments in my mind. I spoke clearly. I was calm. I didn't demand anything. I backed up my statements with proof from the Federal Food and Drug Administration. I was treated with disdain then summarily dismissed. Then, as I was brushing my teeth yesterday and I looked in the mirror, it hit me.

My appearance.

We are living in an upscale neighborhood. Valrico is pretty well to do out here. There are big houses, very few of them up for sale or foreclosure, and upscale shops and restaurants everywhere! Think Stepford Wives, but multiply the number of people and shrink the houses a little. I figured out at Junior's Open House we didn't fit in. Add to that my hair is even crazier than it was back then and I think I was dismissed that day due to my looks. Isn't that a hoot? In an educational system that stresses the teachings that everyone is equal and no one should be mistreated because of who they are or how they look, that is just hypocritical. Sigh....

Wouldn't you listen to that woman up there in the photo? (Without the makeup though!)

No comments: