Monday, March 28, 2011

Ouch.


I know I seem to constantly be complaining about poor drivers down here, and yes I do tend to complain about people not having common courtesy while driving, but there is a reason. The photo above is the reason.

See, It had been a rainy, crappy day. I drove slowly in the predawn light to get the kids to school, and then slowly to get myself back home. I knew it was going to be just as icky when I went to go get the kids from school, and I left a little early to make sure I'd have enough time to get a decent parking spot at the school. ( I hand pick up my kids from the nurses office.) As I'm taking my usual route to the younger kids school, I come upon the accident in the photo above. The red car is unrecognizable. I think it used to be a late model Taurus, but don't quote me on that. There was no front end any more. It was a crumpled heap of twisted metal, hoses struggling to escape the wicked sinews of steel. It wasn't a car any more, and there was no way any human being escaped it. The people on the side of the road by the wreck were crying. They were passengers from the other two cars in the accident. Yes there were 2 other cars involved in that mess. The one not shown is a Lincoln Towncar used by a local Limo company!

Just from passing by, I couldn't tell how it had occurred. All the cars were turned around and on the grassy plain that separates the road from a golf course. Even though I couldn't tell which way the cars had come from, I just knew it had to be caused by someones carelessness. And that's what it really boils down to.... carelessness. Not using a turn signal. Not checking a blind spot. Not following at a proper distance. It isn't difficult, just common sense really, yet time and time again I have been faced with the exact same rude drivers doing the same crappy driving. I drive defensively and it keeps us alive to and from school.

The driver of the red car wasn't so lucky.

Please, be safe out there.

No comments: