Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sad

Recently, we switched to android phones. AT&T was being a douche nozzle and I was tired of my iPhone crashing, dying, and needing a hard restart every other hour. I tried out an LG Optimus first, didn't like it , and moved on to the EVO 4G. I gave the Optimus to Rebecca. She had been promised a touch screen phone for her birthday and she liked the Optimus. She's been doing really well in school and I just feel better knowing she has a phone handy. You know how schools are these days...

Enter today. The weather mavens had predicted a bad front to hit later in the afternoon. I had been keeping track of it by way of the internet and pretty much figured it would hit right about when I needed to pick up the kids from school. I'm sitting and watching some TV before leaving and my phone rings. It's Rebecca. She called to tell me that she wouldn't be having poetry club after school because the administrators had canceled all after school activities due to the impending weather. She said they had made a school wide announcement. So I tell her OK, I'll be there at 2:15 or 2:30 depending on traffic. I drive up, grab her, then off to the elementary school to get the other two. All in all, with round trip and wait times, It takes me about an hour or an hour and fifteen minutes. We get home a little before 4 thanks to an accident on the streets. We are home about 30 minutes when my phone rings again. It is the school notification service. The automated voice tells me that all after school activities are canceled for the day due to the weather. Um, ok?

SCHOOL ENDED 2 HOURS AGO!!!

So nice of them to send a timely notice to all the parents. This is why I gave my daughter a cell phone. I knew about the after school cancellation at 1:30pm... way before the school got around to telling us!

It's sad, really. I just hope nothing bad happens one day. I'll never know unless my daughter calls me about it.

1 comment:

Putz said...

i am now a volunteer{no money} school crossing guard and twice i have been at my stop in minus 14 degree weather and some dumb{courteous} kid would eventually come by and let me know that the school i guard for has been out for 4 hours<<><>