Tuesday, January 18, 2011

BLEEP! BLEEP! BLEEP!

Above is HHH and the rest of the office staff from here discussing the fact that a family set their apartment on fire Tuesday evening. I as watching TV and checking out Twitter when I heard a loud BEEP BEEP BEEP coming from outside. I thought it was the nursing home behind our building having another fire drill for its residents. (They had one Tuesday morning at 6am!) Then I hear what sounds like two semi tractor trailers out front of our building. I get up and go out on the lanai and I see two huge fire trucks turning around and HHH running on a through path to the building across the green. I yelled to him to see what was up. He yelled back while running..

"GREASE FIRE!"
Yes, it was a grease fire. What happened was a little Korean family, (not being racist on the little part, they were really short!), started a grease fire while cooking. As it was raging, the people had the GREAT idea "Let's throw water on the fire!", which, while in most cases would be a good idea, in the case of this grease fire was a very BAD idea! The grease & fire splashed all over and made the fire larger!! Then, the people tried to call 911 and didn't know their address! Had no idea what to tell the dispatchers!! Good thing there's enhanced 911 that helped the fire department get to where they needed!
So the fire department gets everything under control and the people are standing outside arguing about what happened and the office staff are shaking their heads in disbelief!! In this day and age who doesn't know how to put out a grease fire? As soon as I walked back to our place, I asked each and every one of my kids what they are supposed to do in the case of a grease fire. All of them answered correctly with "Baking soda or smother it.". Yay! My kids listened on Fire Safety day!

Either or... Now these people are out of a place to live and my husband has a whole night of work ahead of him. As the only maintenance worker here right now, he has to coordinate the water removal from where first the sprinkler system, and then the fire department put out the fire, he then has to get the security system to reset the building security and then the sprinkler company to replace the sprinklers because you can't cut off sprinklers to the rest of the building because one place went up in flames!

And to end this story... here's a small public service announcement from me to you....

USE BAKING SODA TO PUT OUT A GREASE FIRE, NOT WATER! IF YOU HAVE A TIGHT FITTING LID FOR THE POT THE FIRE IS IN, TRY TO SMOTHER IT WITH THAT. WATER WILL ONLY SPLASH THE FIRE AROUND AND BURN MORE OF YOUR STUFF!!

And now you know!

1 comment:

Dave2 said...

I once had a girlfriend who made awesome cookies. After we broke up, I missed the cookies and decided to make my own. The recipe called for melted butter, but I somehow forgot to turn the stovetop off after I had done my melting. SO... when I took the cookies out of the oven, I set one of the cookie sheets on the top of the stove while I unloaded the other tray.

Oops.

The tray of cookies burst into flames. Remembering the deal with Baking Soda, I tried to find a box, but was in a panic and couldn't find any. So I grabbed another white powdery substance instead. Flour. Except flour is flammable, which caused the fire to explode in my kitchen. I finally managed to beat down and smother the fire with a dish-towel. Much to my relief.

Surprisingly, the smoke and soot wiped off fairly easily and there was no damage done. Except to my cookies, which became charcoal.

In retrospect, I probably should have realized that the flour wouldn't work... but it was a situation that put me into a panic when I couldn't find Baking Soda (it was in the refrigerator, natch!).

My mother bought me a fire extinguisher for my birthday two weeks later. It was a nice gift, but I was too afraid to bake cookies again, and never have.

That was over 20 years ago. :-)