Monday, December 13, 2010

Right Round.


I didn't get to do much today. I had a bad night's sleep that was compounded by the fact that I had vertigo when I woke up. I get the vertigo from time to time. It isn't so bad that I end up vomiting, but I can't walk straight, stand up for long periods of time, or drive. And before you all ask, no, it's not a tumor...(said in my best Arnold "Kindergarten Cop" voice.)... it's a problem that stems from a childhood spent with a heavy smoker. My mother was a 2 to 3 pack a day smoker when I was growing up. I can't remember a time when I as a child when my mother wasn't seen with a cig in hand while either cooking, watching TV, or driving in the car. Knowing what we know now about second hand smoke and it's effects on kids developing systems, it's a wonder we kids from back in the 70's are still alive! I didn't get lung cancer, or stunted growth, or anything like that, but I was the victim of chronic ear infections. One or two of those infections ended up perforating my ear drum and I lost fluid in my inner ear. I also lost some hearing thanks to this, and unfortunately for me, the fluid never re-whatever it is your body does when you lose something that can be regrown. This is one of the main reasons I can't ride roller coasters. The quick up, down, upside down stuff would have me hurling or mess my head up beyond all repair. Meh..... I will survive.

The only thing that messes me up with this is the fact that my equilibrium is jacked all to hell. If I'm standing up, and I close my eyes, I lose the ability for just a moment to know which way is up and which way is down. Now think about if I ever get stopped in a sobriety check point. I'd TOTALLY fail the "stand on one leg, close your eyes, tip your head back, & touch your nose" deal! Hell, I'd fall over even if I was stone cold sober!! Fun fun fun!

So I explained all that to basically tell you I did nothing today.. But I did make home made fried chicken and I baked brownies from scratch! FROM SCRATCH PEOPLE!!! If I can get through a bout of vertigo and end it with brownies, I guess it hasn't been a bad day.

Now pass me the milk!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Mmm... fried chicken. And brownies. They could make almost any day better.

Putz said...

actually i would go to camp in the mtns, steiner in mirror lake and everytime i would look up i would get dizzy and usually fall< they said it was inner ear and probably caused by my mom being a three yes a three pack a day smoker<><><>she died of cancer at age 59<><><>so go figure<>><>>

Employee No. 3699 said...

Vertigo is a bitch. Period.