Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Really?!?

I am a reformed helicopter parent.

I say reformed because I no longer trot to the school every 5 minutes to check on my two youngest. You know.... the ones who have type 1 diabetes. It's not easy being a kid in school now a days, and it gets infinitely harder when you have a chronic illness that sets you apart from the other kids. Add to that a worried mommy who tended to hover and my kids were ripe for getting crap at school. I used to go on their field trips with them because there was no medically capable attendant available to go. Budget cuts, they said. But the teachers and school were also not happy that they had to provide me with entry and transportation. Damned if I did, Damned if I didn't, one could say.

Finally, after long talks with the Endocrinologists, HHH, the kids themselves, yadda yadda yadda..... I laid back and stopped hovering so darn much. The kids were checking their own sugars. They were doing their own shots. If their was a field trip, I just sent a snack for them to take with and everything was OK. This enabled me to get a job, have a life, etc.... It was great.

Not this year!

This year, Junior's teacher is a nervous ninny! She is literally shaking in her boots that Junior is going to drop dead in her class! I kid you not!! It is so stupid. She even called a meeting with me while I was still working where I had to leave work early just so we could discuss Junior's condition. It was all information she could have gotten,and apparently DID GET from the Nurse in the office clinic! Ms. Desiree has been taking care of the kids for 3 years now. She knows them almost as well as I do for their ups, downs, and fake outs! Now Nervous Ninny is at it again.

I got a call Wednesday morning from Junior's teacher basically telling me that if I didn't attend the field trip with him tomorrow, he wouldn't be going. WTF?!? It's a 3 hour trip to watch a play and it isn't even out of the county. I just don't get it except for the fact that we have a new area nurse as well. The last one was an older woman who had years of experience behind her. She didn't flinch at the least little thing like this new younger woman does. Now the Nervous Nelly teacher and New Nurse are feeding off each other in a panic induced nightmare for me.

Now, legally, if I can't go on the field trip for some reason, they aren't allowed to deny my son the privilege of going. The school receives government funding and that would be a violation of federal law. The fact that they are trying to hide behind the ruse of, "we don't have anyone who can go and care for him" is just such BS. I know for a fact that one of the teachers going on the field trip took care of Morgan when Mo was in the 3rd grade. When I went to pick up the kids at school, I spoke with Desiree, the clinic nurse and she is just as exasperated as I am! She said the New Area Nurse is being so anal retentive about things she is alienating every parent of a chronically ill kids. None of us parents like her at all apparently. Now she has gotten Junior's teacher on her fear bandwagon and I'm gonna be on a bus tomorrow to go see a play. I don't want my son to be made fun of because his mom had to chaperon the school trip. I did think the play was a good fit for this problem we're having though....

Junior's going to go see Pinocchio.

He just wants to be a real boy too.

3 comments:

Finn said...

This reminds me of when I had to go get Lil' M from school because he had a blister on his foot.

Honestly.

Russ said...

Insane. If he knows what to do, just monitor him to make sure he's good and let him work. Not a big deal.

Employee No. 3699 said...

"Junior's going to go see Pinocchio.
He just wants to be a real boy too."

Perfect ending to this post!