Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Requiem For A Bunny.


Mr. Bun passed away today. It was probably more like last night, but that would just be splitting hares.

Bad joke, yes I know, but I have to do something to help alleviate the air of sadness around here. I went out to the cage to open it up and feed Mr. Bun this morning and he wasn't moving. I did the obligatory poke with a stick and pronounced Mr. Bun Passed on to another plane of existence. I called HHH and broke the news to him and he came over to collect the body and cage. All that was left was to tell the kids after school. Yeah.... that went over like a lead balloon. The eldest was OK with it, but the two munchkins were in tears the whole trip back to the house from school.

This actually wasn't unexpected. When we got Mr. Bun he was almost starved to death,and even though the vet said he was recovering nicely, we were warned that the stress of being starved could have dire effects on his internal systems. We were told Mr. Bun may not have the life expectancy of a normal healthy rabbit. I guess the vet was right, but I know Mr. Bun was happy during his time with us. I know he was well fed, watered and cared for. He had love lavished upon him and he died in his sleep hopefully dreaming bunny dreams of contentment.

And for those of you keeping score.... This is the same time Toby died, to the day.

Sigh.....

3 comments:

Miss Anarchy said...

I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Bun. He was happy while he was with you and that is a great thing.

Its always hard when pets die. They become part of your family and it hurts.

Poppy said...

Mr. Bun and Toby can go play together in furry heaven.

Finn said...

Poor little bun. I'm glad you were able to give him a good home and some love. xo