Thursday, August 12, 2010

Trust


I never expected to love a rabbit.

They're small.
They're skittish.
They chew.

Then Mr. Bun came along. Thin, mistreated, abandoned.

He didn't trust us. He ran away from us when we tried to pet him, so we stopped trying. He worried over his food bowl, so we kept it full. He fretted next to his water bottle, so we kept it filled with fresh water.

Days passed. We let him have more than the recommended 2 hours of hop time outside the cage. We gave him a roll of toilet paper to play with. He was in heaven! Slowly, ever so slowly, he began to warm up to us. HHH can pick him up now. When I come home in the evening, I fill his food bowl, check his water, and open his cage up and he will take his favorite crunchy treat from my hand. I was just in the bedroom, sitting on the floor and he hopped right up to me and let me pet him out of the cage... no barriers holding him in.... escape at the ready if he so felt like it......

He stayed.

I have often thought that I am a sincerely flawed human being. I had a nervous breakdown Thursday morning at work. Full on crying mess right at my desk. I have had many failures in my life, but the fact that this little little ball of fluff has decided I'm okay somehow makes it better.

Apparently, Mr.Bun has decided to take a chance on me. I will endeavor not to let him and his trust down.

4 comments:

Selma said...

I think you are such a kind and caring person. I read your blog all the time but don't always comment. I just wanted to say that your love for animals is heartwarming and inspiring. Animals - they know a good heart when they see one. Mr. Bun is adorable!

Russ said...

Is it wrong, then, that my first thought was, "Hasenpfeffer"? Plus, I had some awesome olive oil braised rabbit in Italy.

Finn said...

What a cutie!

Animals know good when they see it, sweetie. Now you just have to believe it, too.

Kathy in CA said...

It's funny how some little innocent thing trusting us completely can change our entire outlook on life, isn't it. Thanks, Mr. Buns --