Tuesday, August 24, 2010

On The Wild Side.

Yesterday, I went and practiced with Bradentucky for roller derby. Our team is in flux, as I have said before, and right now we are basically starting over. All of last year, business wise, is kaput and we are having to renegotiate all of our contracts, like the one for our rink space and time. Since nothing is negotiated, we have no where to go and skate right now.

Enter Bradenton.

I was personally invited by a Bradenton skater to come and practice with them. OK, it was by the mom of one of Rebecca's classmates who skates for Bradenton, but I was still invited. When the skaters in Bradenton found out we were in a bind, they put out the invite for us to come skate with them.

So I did.

Last night, myself, and a few other skaters from SRG went over and skated with Bradenton. From the start, you could tell that they are a team that knows what they're doing. They had calisthenics, warm up drills, and endurance circuits! They had enough people to do a really great scrimmage. They had the experience it took and I was trying to take it all in! Holy crap! It was a lot to take in! Their style was totally different than the way we had been practicing. They even got me to jam for one time around! (The last time I jammed, I got the concussion, remember???) Anywho, I don't know if it was the pushing myself after two weeks of no practice or what but I am S-O-R-E! Mostly my left quad and inside thigh, but yeah..... hurts like hell! I am mainlining Tylenol and caffeine so it will work faster. I don't want to say it, but if worst comes to worst, I can always try out for the Bombers. I do live over here after all.

The interesting part of the night was when Malice In Rollerland remembered my name. And I wasn't even wearing my shirt with my skate name on the back! (They had told us to wear red, white, or black.)I must not be too forgettable. Oh well, time to watch a little derby 101 on YouTube and then hit the hay.

I gotta start rollin'.

No comments: