Saturday, January 2, 2010

Urban.

I went to a local resale store named Plato's Closet today with Rebecca. She likes this store because it carries the kinds of clothing she likes, but at prices that don't kill her budget and my wallet. She spent most of the money she got from babysitting during Christmas vacation there. They also buy clothes from customers as well, which is how they can sell at such great prices! Cool. After the last time we went, I told Rebecca that we should go through the closets and see what we had to sell. HHH is forever cleaning out apartments that have been skipped on and has come home with bags of clothing. I have a bunch that I don't fit in. We gathered up a pair of Apple Bottom capri's, 2 Baby Phat shirts, an Apple Bottom shirt that matched the capri's, an Anne Taylor dress, and an Old Navy top and went over to the Plato's Closet store. We got there and they were busy, as usual. I put in our bag to be assessed. Rebecca looked around and picked out a few tops while we waited. I went looking for a pair of jeans for HHH. He is ALWAYS ruining his jeans at work. I've told him a million times to quit wearing his good jeans to work, but he never listens.

Finally, after about 45 minutes, the guy at the counter calls us over and basically pushes the whole bag back at me and says "we only buy one top at a time and we don't buy "urban" brands so all we want to offer for is the Old Navy top, OK?" I look at him funny and he says, "Would you like me to explain?" Rebecca says "Sure." and the guy goes into saying the store doesn't sell the urban brands well at that location so they don't offer to buy them. I look at the guy again and say with half a smirk, "So your saying I am in the wrong neck of the woods to sell "urban " brand clothing?" Suddenly every head in the store swivels towards me and the slip of a girl who was apparently the manager comes over and in a thick Israeli accent tries to say that the owner never had luck selling those kinds of items, blah, blah, blaaaaaaaah! OK what ever. I told Rebecca to get in the line to check out while I took care of getting the money for the one shirt.

We got home and I started to think about it. The whole situation reminded me about when I was promoted and we moved to the Ranch. Once our customers found out I lived in a nicer neighborhood and I wasn't just the woman who scrubbed their toilet, they treated me better. The clothing store was quietly discriminating against the "urban" clothing. It wasn't Juicy Couture or BCBG so it didn't fit in I guess.

Eh..... no big deal I guess. I just thought the world had progressed beyond that is all.

5 comments:

marty mankins said...

I've never been into a Plato's Closet, but the several locations they have here in Salt Lake seem to be busy.

I wonder if they will take the "urban" clothing. Funny how some places of business operate.

Blondefabulous said...

MARTY MANKINS: I wonder if it is so much an "It won't sell" thing as it is a "We don't want those kinds of customers" thing. When I mentioned being in the wrong neck of the woods, all the staff got really nervous. Makes me wonder if it has come up before.

phinz said...

These attitudes wouldn't exist if there weren't a grain of truth behind them.
It sucks, but there it is.
We all have a looooong way to go.
One day at a time.

Christina LMT said...

Heh. Considering I don't even know any of those brands, I guess I'm Uber-Urban then?

I shop at thrift stores and WalMart. What can I say? I'm poor. :D

Bubblewench said...

I used to go to a place like that when I lived in Oregon, they took everything... really surprised the didn't want that suff.. but like you said "wrong neck of the woods?"