Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Compliments


Compliments.

I've never been able to take them well. I give them all the time, yet I almost never take them at their face value. It's been that way as long as I can remember. I usually just brush them off, laugh them off, or let them pass altogether. I don't know why I do this, but I think it's something I really need to work on. In just the last 7 days these are the compliments I have heard......

You don't look 37.
You were awesome at Derby Saturday.
You had a great hit on Saturday night.
You look great! How much weight have you dropped?
You look really great in that outfit.
That was a good presentation.
My home was very clean, thanks.

You get the point. And even though I sound confident and cool here on the Internet, thus is not the case in real life. In the real world, I feel small and insignificant. I realize that I lost 45 pounds all on my own, I started doing a great new sport, and I am now office manager of a thriving business, but I still see myself as a sort of screw up, like I was when I was a kid. I should be basking in the glow of compliment city, but I don't. I can't! Even when HHH looks at me and says I look so damn beautiful he doesn't know whether to stare at me or make love to me, I laugh at him and joke that he needs glasses. Then he gets mad at me and I have to cajole him out of a bad mood with a BJ or something like that.

I guess I am going to try to work on that in the future. Hey, I've been doing so good on my weight loss, trying new things, and making new friends.... what's one more goal, right? If this is what a mid life crisis is, I may be able to kick it's butt!

I think I have to..... for me.

2 comments:

Finn said...

The first step is to accept the compliment gracefully. Just say, "Thank you" and enjoy. Keep doing it; you'll get better at it.

You've earned every one of those compliments. Maybe you should write some down on Post-Its and put 'em on your bathroom mirror so you can look at them every day.

Christina LMT said...

I agree with Finn, but I also completely understand where you're coming from. And I know how hard it is to smile and say, "Thank you." when someone says something nice.

I think we both need practice!

Blondie, you are an amazing and attractive woman, and it's a joy knowing you!

(pssst, now you say, "Thank you, Christina!")