Friday, October 30, 2009

BOO!

As it is Halloween, we all have our spooky stories and bumps in the night to tell about. I have a few. Here is one......

Back when we lived in Memphis, I was working for a company called Miss Cordelia's. It was a gourmet grocery and restaurant. VERY chi chi! It wasn't big either, maybe the size of one of those large convenience stores, but it had a boutique feel to it so the rather well off clientele that went there could feel superior to the regular folks that had to shop off the island at the local Piggly Wiggly. (Don't Ask.) Now the place was located on an island, Mud Island to be exact. What I didn't know at the time was that Mud Island used to be a Tunica Indian burial ground. Once I found that piece of info out things I had seen began to make sense. Things like my hot chocolate cup being moved from the place where I had set it down not 1 minute ago, or the shadow of a person I thought I saw in the back stock room but when I went to see who it was, there was no one there, but the thing I will remember the most is the Hot Dog Bun Incident.

I had been there for around a little over a year and we had just finished a new remodel to make a large sit in eating area for the restaurant. Anyone with even an ounce of ghost knowledge can tell you that spirits dislike when people stir up things by remodeling or doing construction. I was an early morning opener, which meant I got there at 6am to get the restaurant open for the breakfast crowd. It was also a lonely hour of the morning. It's dark, most of the lights are off to save energy till time to open and there aren't too many people in there that early. I was cleaning and stocking the food stations for the later lunch rush when I saw something out of the corner of my eye. It was just a quick movement, over in the grocery part of the store, but it got my attention. I turned and didn't notice anything at first, but then my stomach dropped to the floor and my eyes turned into dinner plates as I saw it. There, hovering 8 feet in the air, was a pack of sunbeam hot dog buns. It had floated off the top shelf in the bread aisle, and was lazily hovering about 1 foot from the shelf itself. It stayed there for about a minute with me unable to tear my eyes off of it, then it dropped to the floor with a resounding thud. How soft hot dog buns made that loud a sound I will never know. After the noise a few of the other morning employees came over to investigate what was going on.... I couldn't speak. Did I really just see what I thought I saw?? If I tell these people are they going to think I am nuts??? I ended up keeping the incident to myself since I wasn't ready for a straight jacket and I went about my regular day, shaken but not too stirred.

Later on, I found out about the burial grounds, and that other employees had experienced occurrences much like mine. I wasn't so scared any more, but it was still creepy. Either or, that's my ghost story for Halloween. Everyone stay safe and play nice!!

Happy Halloween!!!!!

No comments: