Thursday, June 11, 2009

Cracker Jack Box.


That's where I am convinced most of the drivers down here got their licenses! No one seems to know what a turn signal is, there is absolutely no use of courtesy when changing lanes, and everyone here is color blind. Cissafireheart already wrote a post about her driving companions up north, but I thought I'd add a few things to her list. Here goes....

#1- STOP SIGNS ARE NOT OPTIONAL.

I just don't see how people can ignore the big red signs at the end of the street. Honestly! I have seen plenty of accidents and near accidents because of this. And this isn't the texting/chatting/emailing people.

#2-
THERE ARE 3 DISTINCT COLORS ON A TRAFFIC LIGHT.

Red means stop. Simple, succint, and to the point. Take you foot off the fucking gas and hit the brakes. The yellow light before the red means you need to slow your ass down. Once again.... simple.

#3- CROSSWALK SIGNALS APPLY TO CARS TOO.

If the crosswalk signal is showing the little white people, that means I get to go across the street. It does NOT mean you can cut me off, turn in front of me, or try to run me over because you are in a hurry. Take a chill pill and slow the fuck down.

#4- A BIKE IS CLASSIFIED AS A VEHICLE.

I get all the rights and privileges afforded to any other vehicle. I am allowed to ride on the road. I follow all the signs and signals. I stop for stop signs. I yield for yield signs.... you get the drill. I would appreciate it if drivers would stop cutting me off, skipping me, and generally treating me like I'm not there. If I have to follow the road rules, so do you.

#5- DRIVING 2 MILES AN HOUR OVER A BRIDGE SO YOUR WIFE CAN HANG OUT THE WINDOW AND VIDEO TAPE THE OCEAN IS STUPID!

I know most of my rules have to do with me riding my bike, but this one is special. See one day, as we were in the toaster, we got stuck behind this shitty conversion van from Ohio. It was doing.... I kid you not, 2 MPH! The reason for this lack of speed? The man's wife was literally hanging out the passenger side window with a handy cam filming the water and the harbor. OMG! If you want to take pretty pictures and video, stop at the park that was on the side of the road and do it from there! Do not get me squashed by the giagantic 4 wheel drive behind me.

Ok, that's all I have for now. I didn't go into the whole "Text/chat/email while driving thing, only because that would take up a whole post by itself! As I have fully commited to riding my bike to work all summer, I am sure I will have more to blog about later on. Toodles everyone, and let's be careful out there!

1 comment:

Russ said...

Come on! The Stop sign has a white border.