Sunday, March 8, 2009

Freecycling

Well, we have been here in the new house for a month now, and so far things have been going well. Aside from the mariachi being played loudly on the weekend, and the Jerry Springer-esque couple arguing with the guy's baby mama to the rear of our back yard, it's been nice. We put up a clothesline to save money on the electric bill, we have been letting the kids play in the back yard without worrying about them disturbing anyone, and we have discovered the beauty of that which is Freecycle Sarasota.

Freecycle Sarasota is a group where if you have anything you're not using, you post it on the freecycle message board and wait for someone to contact you about getting it. It also works when you need something and you can cruise the message board and see if anyone has the item you're looking for. The rules are simple. No resellers, don't no show if you make an appointment to pick up something, and post something every once in a while, don't just take. Lately, I have been looking for things for Juniors room. He sleeps on a high end air mattress that sits on a futon frame, but I'd really like to move him up to a regular bed. Right now, thanks to the freecyclers, my son has 2 bookcases and a nightstand. Most of the stuff on the boards seems cool. Nothing weird, and people are even helping re home pets.

We don't have much to offer on freecycle yet. I am going to go through the house next weekend and see what we have to offer up. Most likely old toys the kids have outgrown, clothes we don't wear anymore, and things we don't use anymore. That's the beauty of this... people will come and take things I no longer want and have no room to store in this 1 closet house! Yippee!

It's free! Free as a flea in a tree.

3 comments:

Christina LMT said...

*lol*
I just discovered freecycle Las Vegas...I really need them 'cause I have a LOT of stuff I don't use that's just taking up space. Ugh.
I haven't really got started yet, but next week is my school's spring break, so I'll probably get started then!
Good luck!

HoosierGirl5 said...

Can you "freecycle" a kid or two? Hee hee. Glad you're finding some good stuff for the boy.

J.

Blondefabulous said...

CHRISTINA LMT: I love it! I'm gonna go through all our crap on Friday night and post it to get rid of it!

HOOSIER GIRL: I wish!!! People would give mine back because they're damaged goods.