Friday, February 20, 2009

The Gate Keeper.

Ever since we moved about a block away from where we were, I have been driving the kids to school in the morning. We get up about 6"15 am and everyone gets ready and we get going around 7 on the daily circuit. First stop is the Middle School where Rebecca gets dropped jogs off as fast as possible from the car with a fleeting wave to me as she does so. Then, it's time to drive over the Morgan and Juniors school.... Good ol' Tuttle ES. We get there a little early... the rules say you can't drop off kids before 7:30 am. So, we sit in the parking lot and chat a little, make jokes, and talk about spelling, math, and other things scholastic. Finally, 7:30 rolls around and we head into the school. I still walk the kids in to the nurses station and make sure they hand over their glucometers and all. Then it's time for kisses and hugs and then they go in to have breakfast in the cafeteria.

Lately, there has been this one Hispanic teacher who has been hassling us about this. It seems that even though the gate to the school opens at 7:30, the office doesn't "officially" open until 7:45. Why does this matter to me? Well, it doesn't. I'm not there to talk to anyone, have a meeting with a teacher, or see anyone in the guidance office. I am just there to make sure my kids drop off their stuff and leave. End of story. Well, Ms. Thing at the gate has decided that she's going to take it upon herself to "educate" me on the fact that the office isn't open technically for another 15 minutes and I will need to wait. I pointed out to her that I wasn't there to meet with anyone, I was just assuring that the glucometes got dropped off and then to leave. Having to wait another 15 minutes takes that same 15 minutes from my children for eating breakfast, and that isn't fair to them. She counters with, "Well, you will have to check with the nurse and make sure it's OK with her that you are dropping off things in the office." (The attitude is just dripping off of her as she said it.) OK. Fine. Later that same day, I go back to pick up the kids from school. (I still walk up there in the afternoon.) I got there early enough to explain to Desiree (the nurse), what has been going on, why we are arriving 15 minutes earlier, and can we drop off the stuff early. She says sure, no problem, (this lady is awesome!) and just to be sure, I check with Cynthia, the receptionist, and get her approval as well.

Not the next day, but the day after that, we get to the school, wait for 7:30 and start walking in to the school, and sure enough, Ms. Thing moves to stand right in front of us and says to me, "You will have to wait until 7:45 to enter the office. Thank you." I take a VERY deep breath and say to her, " I spoke to Desiree and Cynthia and they said it was alright for us to come and drop off the glucometers." She literally spins around on her heels, and stomps off muttering "Well, we'll see if you have permission. I'll go ask Cynthia." I mean it. She was stomping into the office like a two year old who was pissed off about not getting to play with a brand new toy! Ms. Thing marches up to Cynthia's desk and asks, "Did you give this mother permission to enter the office early?" Cynthia says yes and that I had talked to both her and Desiree about it and that it was OK with them. Ms. Thing then spins around again and flounces out of the office muttering, "No one ever tells me anything!" all the while giving me a dirty look.

Um.... aren't we adults here? At the beginning of the year, this woman was pleasant, nice, and all around decent. I don't know what to say about all of this. It's just juvenile.

Who knew I would get into a playground scuffle at my age!!

8 comments:

HoosierGirl5 said...

Her behavior was completely unprofessional. No question there.

However, having been on the other side, it DOES get a little old to have rules for entering and exiting the school and then have some parent want to be the exception to that rule almost every day. I don't think that appplies to you at all - you have a medical reason and your kids need breakfast. But at my school it seems like every damn day, someone thinks that the rules don't apply to them. It's exhausting.

Just smile sweetly at her every morning and then walk right on in.

J.

Blondefabulous said...

HOOSIERGIRL: Yeah, I can see that argument, but I am trying to get in and out as fast as possible so other parents don't see me in there and think it's OK to go in. I was just trying to drop off the kids glucometers. If there wasn't also a rule that says the parent MUST drop off the equipment, not the children, I'd let the kids do it themselves after they eat, but then there's that rule that interfears as well. It just gets me that this woman was an awesome person at the start of the year, and now by the middle of the year she's unhappy, snappish, & angry all the time I see her. Makes you wonder....

Russ said...

mmm, can you say, "power trip"? I knew you could!

metalmom said...

What a dictator!

*Say that in your head "Dictator" Doesn't it sound dirty? I love that word! LOL

Blondefabulous said...

RUSS: I know, right?!?

METALMOM: Bwah ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

HoosierGirl5 said...

Okay, so here are the possibilities:
A. She has some kind of personal stress going on and it's affecting bhow she acts at work.

B. She has an anal boss like mine who puts all kind of stupid rules out there and then rips into people when they don't enforce them.

C. She's a bitch.

J.

Blondefabulous said...

HOOSIERGIRL: I am inclined to believe the second of your reasons. Just the other day, they principal made an announcement that scooters and skateboards were no longer allowed to be ridden to school and placed in the bike lockup any more. Junior was heart broken. I told Junior I would just walk his scooter to the school every afternoon.

HoosierGirl5 said...

Stop by my blog - you have been given yet another award.

J.