Friday, February 6, 2009

Celiac's.... Schmeliac's....

I am going to write about how different life has been for Mo and myself ever since we have been diagnosed with Celiac's Disease. Yes, life has been very different. It has also become a pain in the ass!

In my life I have enjoyed the bread of existence. I am an admitted Krispy Kreme addict. I am a baker of cake and pastry. How the hell Karma decides it would be good to give me a disease where I can no longer enjoy those very things is beyond me. The siren smell of fresh home made bread baking in the oven is one of my happiness triggers! Now I can look and smell, but no longer taste. THAT FUCKING BLOWS!!!! Morgan hasn't learned about all the wonders of baguettes, sour dough, and challah.... so she really doesn't know what she's missing. Me, on the other hand, I know exactly what I am missing. Once again.... with feeling...... THAT FUCKING BLOWS!!

As of January first, Mo and I have been gluten free. We made a pact, (and promised many a gastroenterologist), to give up the gluten. For the most part, we have been without gluten. (Think lot's of meat, rice, and veggies.) Going out to restaurants can be tricky. I twittered and blogged my delight at Carrabba's having a gluten free menu, and I found out that Outback had a gluten free option on the ordering system the servers use to input their orders so the kitchen can leave off the gluten containing products. Most places though, do not have a separate menu.... so it's either salad or some sort of grilled meat. We call it the steak and baked potato diet! The kids meals are another story. Most of them are breaded or fried, or contain pasta. Yeah..... not so good. Morgan usually can't eat 95% of what is on most kids meal menus. I usually share something with her off of the adult menus to alleviate this problem. Recently, I went to a McDonalds over here in Sarasota and asked them to make me a Quarter pounder with cheese hold the bread. The guy behind the counter didn't even blink, rang it up, and even got me a knife and fork so I could eat it. OH MY GOD! I hadn't had a hamburger since July and I was in heaven!!! Mad props to that Mickey D's for helping a girl out with her greasy burger fix.

Stopping all gluten has helped in the weight loss department. I've dropped about 10 to 15 pounds in my estimate. (I am not doing the scale thing.) I am fitting into clothes I haven't been in in a long while and I am more energetic. I'm also sleeping better. Less stomach upset = more restful sleep. One of the down sides I have noticed is I am now SUPER SENSITIVE to gluten in everything now. Having gone a full month without gluten, my stomach now knows what it is to feel better... good even! Now when I have the least little bit of glutenous food.... I either become violently ill or I am channeling some sort of Montezuma's revenge! I had a Super Bowl party where we had gluten foods available and I partook of some of it. BAD IDEA!!! The next morning I was dry heaving and barfing for the rest of the day. Oh yeah.... it wasn't pretty. So now, I am even more inclined to stick to the gluten free thing.

So there we are.... Mo and I...... living la vida loca without gluten. I miss bread. I miss crackers. I miss garlic bread sticks at the Olive Garden.......

But I bet I will feel alot better without them.

And on that note.... I just ate a Krispy Kreme doughnut!

4 comments:

Bluepaintred said...

I could not do it. not not not!

What does a person eat for lunch? i have a baloney sandwich every freaking day! And toast for breakfast, and usually buns or something like that at dinner!

phinz said...

I am a pasta FREAK. I would be nutz trying to go without gluten.

What do you put your PB&J on? Rice cakes, maybe? Me, I'd probably put my PB&J on ice cream or something like that just out of spite . . .

Putz said...

at times i miss my sugar, but times when i look down at my 176 body and remember when i was 209 and in a diabetic coma for 2 days i then feel great, and the ladies look at me and oogle me and they never did at 209...but they do at 176

Ms. Florida Transplant said...

I do not envy people that have to eat gluten-free. My ex tried it for a few weeks when they were trying to figure out what was wrong with him - it was so frustrating trying to find things to eat! A lot of places have gotten more gluten friendly, especially Whole Foods. That crappy part is that it's so expensive there!