Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year..... New You.


Well, the new year has officially begun. I say this not because it is already January 3rd, but because the Special K commercials, the Gym Membership commercials, and the work out video commercials are all flooding the TV. Hell, when Ms. M and I were in Wall to Wall Mart, they had huge displays of work out DVD's and exercise equipment! I guess the weight loss race is on for all of America. What really gets me is none of these commercials, products, and spokespeople say very much about just being healthy. You know, "I'm OK, you're OK, we're all OK.... but if you feel like you may want to drop a few pounds, or maybe work on getting a little more muscle tone, let us help you." Most of the advertisements are full of impossibly thin women and buff, burly men who swear by what ever product they are touting being the reason for said buff thinness! Then there are all the magazines. There's Cosmo, Mademoiselle, Glamour, and all the rest telling me they have the super duper secret to diet success, or that they have the key, life changing ingredient to making me thinner and happier. The actual diet centers that advertise are a little better. Most of them say they want to make you healthier in the new year, but they still show tiny women in stretchy spandex. If I am going to go to one of these places I most definitely do not want to be standing next to the toothpick woman during the weigh in. WTF man?? I also don't want to go to the gym and have to do the elliptical next to the young hot thing from the local university who has her ecologically friendly water bottle, iPod, and matching bandanna and ponytail holder along with her little tank top and shorts that proclaim she is a "Hottie" on the back of her little, gravity free, non existent ass! (Oh my, did I rant for a bit there?)

Right now, I am over weight. I know it. I am pretty OK with it. The parts of me that aren't OK are my knee, that I still have bits of 13th Street and 39th Avenue in Gainesville, FL in it. It complains about hauling my fat ass around every once in a while. My back, that still goes out on me every once in a while, most recently during a wonderful morning of absolutely amazing sex with HHH. It isn't happy with me being a little rolly polly. Then there are my feet. After a day in a theme park, they are barking at me. They are just as happy about hauling my fat ass around as my knee. God only knows what my insides look like. At my last check up, I had normal blood pressure, normal heart rates, and normal cholesterol's.... but how long can I keep that up? How long will Lady Karma let me get by? At 36, I don't think I should be pushing the envelope to much more..... so I am just going to say for this year, I'd like to change just a few things, like drinking more water, or really trying to stick to the Gluten free diet like I should be. I don't want to go all out, gung ho, and head first in to the new year.....

I just want to nibble my into it a little at a time.

What are you guys doing?

12 comments:

Russ said...

Well, if you don't want the spot on the elliptical trainer, can I have it?

Julie Morrison said...

I'm there. Let's rock this place. Phinz iz in too.

Blondefabulous said...

RUSS: It's all yours Russ!BTW... did you recognize the "I'm OK, You're OK..." thing from DodgeBall?

JULIE MORRISON: Cool... now to get everyone else on the bandwagon!

metalmom said...

I'm doing my own little bits and pieces to lose weight. As soon as my back heals I'm on to exercising more.

What these gyms, etc, fail to capitalize on, is that 35-50 year old women are actually their prime target for exactly the reasons you cited...weight loss, toning and health. I quite enjoyed seeing Queen Latifah saying "I just wanna lose 5 pounds" That was way more realistic!

phinz said...

Like Julie said, I'm in!

I had a membership to LA Fitness for a few years. I was able to go midday, along with all the other 35 to probably 80 year olds--and the music they played was geared towards the teens & 20-somethings. THAT turned me off. The TV's were tuned into CNN, ESPN, and the third one was on a decent channel maybe once a week. Then the girlies & boysies with their iPods blasting in their ears would get on the treadmill or elliptical next to me and would have to shout their stupid inane conversations at each other to be heard.
Gyms suck, I'm much happier doing it on my own and saving my $30/month!

Blondefabulous said...

METALMOM: Yeah... I saw those. I like those. They seemed more realistic.

PHINZ: It is just crazy in there some times. Don't they realize we are self concious? Or perhaps people are like me and have no idea what half the machines do?

Julie Morrison said...

I despise exercsing in front of people. I can barely stand to know what I look like naked. I'm glad my hubs doesn't mind.(He's a beefie boy)I am on again tomorrow with the elliptical only because the weather sux here in OH, and I got my EL set up so I can watch movies only when I do it. By the time I hit the first 3rd of the movie, I got about 40 minutes in. I have to trick myself. I have to work out or my back is gone baby gone.

Blondefabulous said...

JULIE MORRISON: I had a guy on Twitter say that I shouldn't let the "hottie" on the elliptical next door keep me from exercising, but I gotta say, nothing discourages me more that some perfect princess making me look like a slob next to her. Very counter productive. I watch TV when I worked the elliptical before. An hour would pass before I knew it!

Putz said...

you just made an intrresting observantion from my point of view, as long as you concetratrate on one diet, the gluten free diet, you are as selfconcious as you need to be and don't need all the sales blitches to be hammered at you....so focus, yes focus on the one and to hell with the rest...you have just heard the wisdom of the ages

Tug said...

I actually looked into a Y here today, because they're cheaper than gyms...and this town of 60k+ DOESN'T HAVE ONE. I've also checked out indoor swimming (LOVE), & all they have available in 2 different places here are during the day when I'm working.

*hate*

Christina LMT said...

I'm just trying to do what I've been doing, but now I want to start running (HAH! More like jogging) on the treadmill. I have to see how my feet like it.

delmer said...

I'm so far behind with things I've not had time to make resolutions. I normally give myself 2 weeks to come up with something (a resolution several years ago was to be a bit more laid back when it came to resolutions ... it's one of the few I'm good at keeping).

I think one of mine will involve getting down to 229 ... just because it's in a lower 10's bracket.