Thursday, October 30, 2008

Obama Stole My Route Home!

Oh my sweet baby Jesus! Today was an ordeal and a half! The great Democratic candidate Obama is speaking at Ed Smith Stadium, a mere 1 block from my home. This is in a last ditch effort to secure Florida for the democratic party and sway all these undecideds still left. I, however, was not concerned with that. I was more concerned with having to get my children to school. Let me elaborate.....

Here is a map of my neighborhood. My apartment community begins at the "A" and Yahoo maps says it is .44 miles to get to the entrance of Ed Smith Stadium. I have to go .50 miles to my kids school. I get to the school, drop off my little dumplings, and begin to walk home. Just for shits and giggles, I decide to walk down to see what's going on. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! Warning, warning! Danger Will Robinson! DANGER! As I approached what I thought was the end of the line, I realized it wasn't. I was further encouraged that this wasn't the end of the line when a few less jovial Obama/Biden supporters were rather nasty about saying the end of the line curled around the block and down 12th street. In my map above, I marked where the beginning and end of the line was. Let me tell you, it isn't as short as the map makes it appear!






These were the enterprising souls at the end of the line down by Euclid Avenue. I felt sorry for them because from what I saw, they weren't going to get in. Ed Smith has a max capacity of 10,000 people and I had to have passed that and more when I was trying to find the end of the line. It was then that I decided not to attend this function. Really, when you think about it, I can hear everything that goes on from my balcony. Add that to a live stream on the Internet and it's like I'm there, but a block away!




It looked like there was a forest of satellite towers sprouting up from the news parking lot!





This was the traffic outside of my kids school! It was redonkulous!! And not only was there a giant amount of traffic.... they had no regards for the school zone, kids, or the crossing guard trying to get those kids safely across the road. Who cares if you are blocking the intersection and the cross walk, your just trying to get over to see Obama! Well, we moms and dads care dumbass! I can hear the thing starting up now! The speech must be starting. Time to go listen on the balcony!
Oh and getting back home? A complete and total B. I. T. C. H.! I started walking back to the house and every street was blocked off. Every one! I had to walk up to Lime Avenue(which is so far up it is cut off the map!) and go back towards 10th street so I could get home. It was a round trip of about a mile and a half. I don't care who you are...... that's a long walk if you haven't stretched out. Luckily by the time school is out, Obama will be long gone..... off to make a nightmare out of someone else's traffic patterns.
One of the funnier things I saw was a single guy standing on the corner of Tuttle and 12th, holding a McCain/Palin sign. He wasn't saying anything to anyone, but the Obama Volunteers were surrounding him trying to get him to leave. (I thought we were allowed to assemble peacefully in this country?) Oh, and there were people selling all kinds of things. There were towels that said "Change" on them, t-shirts, buttons, signs, hats, bumper stickers, and everything you could imagine! It was almost like trying to get into a concert and trying to get past the vendors hawking souvenirs!
So what did I take away from today's experience? Well, one..... I guess I am not enough of a supporter to wait for hours in line to see a candidate. Two.... I am NEVER going to try and see what's going on "just for fun" anymore EVER! And three.... I can't wait for all this stuff to be over and for November 4th to get here!
Remember to get out and VOTE people! I will, and that will be the line I will be grateful to stand in!

4 comments:

Putz said...

vote early{see my blog}....no lines, your vote realy really counts,,the election really is over, because just with the votes so far, they can predict the winner

Blondefabulous said...

PUTZ: The early voting poll is too far for me to walk to right now. I am going to go on the 4th to my polling place that is right down the road right after I drop off the kids to school!

PinkPiddyPaws said...

I'm already planning my "stand in line for 6 hours and freeze my tush off just so I can take 5 seconds to push a button" voting outfit! :)

But hey, as long as I vote, I get to bitch about the results and that's all that counts!!

lady jaye said...

See I could totally make a comment about how Obama just made your life more difficult. But I won't ;-) I myself have already voted and it wasn't a hassle at all because I live in a small town. I was literally in and out in 5 minutes. I'm glad to have it over with since I'll still be recovering from a long trip back from Jacksonville. Oh and Go Dawgs! ;-)