Thursday, October 2, 2008

Fall






I live in Florida. South Florida to be exact. It is warm, humid and sunny most days of the year. I was born in Florida. I have lived here all of my life, with the exception of the few years we spent up in Tennessee with HHH's mother. The summers are sweltering, the springs are balmy, the winters are mild.......








And there is no Fall.








Yep. Fall does not come to South Florida. Oh, we have trees that turn color, but that color is brown. Not yellow, not orange,....brown. Dead brown. The oak trees lose their acorns and I love the sound they make as I crunch them with my shoes. We have the holiday's down here too. Halloween and Thanksgiving, and Christmas.....they just take on a decidedly different feel. Ever since I was in college, I had a tradition of going to the beach on Thanksgiving and Christmas, mostly because I could. One of my fondest memories is of waking up on New Year's Day in Jacksonville Beach. The bowl game that year was the Gator Bowl and they had put the marching band up in a swank hotel on the beach. The game had been the night before on New Year's Eve so most of my band mates were nursing their hang overs and sleeping in. The weather was beautiful. It was clear and sunny and the view of the ocean was amazing. I got dressed and went down to the beach, rolled up my pants and went wading in the ocean.........on New Year's.........IN JANUARY!!!!!!! It was unbelievable. I vowed from that day on to enjoy the Floridian way of seasons.






So, yeah.....there really isn't a Fall here, but I can go to the beach. We don't have colored trees, but we do have football. I can live with that. You don't have to dress in layer after layer of clothing to keep warm, but you may have to run your A/C. It's kind of a give and take, but let me tell ya, you can have your snow, wind, and crappy Fall weather. I wasn't much of a fan when I lived up in Memphis, and I don't see that changing any time soon. But I do have one problem......


I have no where to wear my fabulous fall fashion coat I have from being up in Memphis........

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I miss the fall :( I lived just outside of Chicago for 20 years. I miss needing sweatshirts and heavier jackets. I miss yellow, orange and red leaves. I miss that smell there is in the air. I LOVE the crisp, cool air. I'm probably also biased as I'm a October baby. I'm not really one for the beach - there is SAND there. One of God's most evil creations. It gets everywhere - ugh. And it sticks to you! I want my kids to be able to freeze their asses off in their halloween costumes in order to get pillow cases of candy. I don't however miss the snow, the shoveling, the having to need snow tires, or sleet, and ice storms. Winter can disappear - I do not need snow for christmas. Just some 35 degree weather. I like fireplaces. I like the Sun here and I like to get a tan - but I would rather live someplace else, personally.

Putz said...

utah fell last night while all you peoples were watching palin get hers....byu continues to go up in the polls....penn xstate too....also oregon state...and thank goodness the california team fell....and who cares about the forida teams

Blondefabulous said...

NICOLE: I am Florida born and raised, so this is the weather I am used to.

PUTZ: Uh..... I don't remember this blog entry being about football.

Putz said...

so your blog was all about the weather and you swimming n--- in jan lst while i was freezing in utar...who casres???