Tuesday, September 9, 2008

They Walk Alike, They Talk Alike...

..... Sometimes they even dress alike! Yes, I am talking about my two mini munchkins who are in elementary school. The ES here wears uniforms. I am not "against" uniform per say, I just hate that it requires me to buy two sets of clothes every year. I hadn't ever run into uniforms until living in Memphis Tennessee. Up there, I could see that the uniforms were need, what with the gangs, violence, and kids dressing like thugs and hookers. I was OK with that. The required uniform was white or dark blue collared tops, and navy, black, or beige bottoms. Belts and shirt tucking was required. This made the children look like nice young ladies and gentlemen. I thought it was great! Yes it was expensive....but it was necessary, and we complied.

After moving to Florida, we ran into some schools that wore uniforms, and some that did not. I kept the uniforms just in case HHH got transferred to a job where the school system required them. We have never had any problems with uniforms... till now.

Now Tuttle ES uses uniforms. OK. I have uniforms my kids can wear. Tuttle sells school shirts that have the school logo on them. So did all the other schools we ever attended that had uniforms. However, Tuttle REQUIRES we buy the school's shirts from THEM at $11 a pop because any shirt that does not have the school logo is not permitted. WTF?? I have 2 students who attend there and at $11 a pop for 5 days that would be......$110.00!!! WTF??? Are you kidding me? I do have to insert in here that they gave my kids 3 shirts free each since we had moved in and were a little short on cash due to the moving, but damn man! What about some of these families that have 3 or 4 kids in elementary school here? I have seen them when I go to drop off and pick up the kids from school. I shudder to think what they are paying for this. As if that wasn't enough, now my daughter tells me that I have to purchase them school logo outer wear also, as they are not allowed to wear their regular windbreakers and hoodies. Once more, with feeling....WTF??? Now my kids also wear uniform approved outer wear as well. Navy colored, zip up hoodies, devoid of decoration and design. How the HELL do you tell a parent, after all the other money they have spent on shirts and school supplies, that they also have to spend money on sweatshirts and jackets from the school with the school logo on them? If the shirts are $11, I don't even want to know what the sweatshirts and jackets cost!!! Every other school district I have ever been in that has had uniforms has always given parents the option to buy plain colored, collared tops from a major retailer and use those as uniforms. This "Only buying uniforms from the school" thing smacks as a forced fund raiser to me. By making it a rule that you can only buy your school uniform from the school itself, it creates a monopoly and makes it harder for parents to spread the funds around for things such as after school activities, sports programs, or arts. In the end, the kids are going to lose. We're already being squeezed in the grocery store, by the electric company, and at the pump, but HEY! Let's add on a greedy school to the list. I guess bake sales and raffles aren't enough anymore.



Oh, and the reason most schools give for using uniforms..... you know, the gangs, violence, and crime they are supposed to deter? Yeah, those things usually begin in middle school. Guess what? The middle school my eldest daughter goes to doesn't have uniforms.



Makes a whole load of sense, doesn't it?

8 comments:

Nicole said...

wow a few things have changed in 4 years...when Matt went to Tuttle he could wear any kind of jacket or hoodie as long as it fell within the guidelines of "normal" school attire. You know??

kvegas911 said...

Wow...couldn't they just go with a plain polo and khakis? and plain (not baggy) jackets? They could specify colors and you could do a lot better at WalMart, Target, or Rugged Warehouse. That sucks!

lady jaye said...

That's pretty lame if you ask me. My brother and his family live in Tampa and I know that my oldest niece was required to wear a uniform in MS of just a green polo and khaki bottoms. I can't fathom a school that makes you purchase their logoed apparel. I'd bring it up at the next PTA or School Board meeting.

Blondefabulous said...

NICOLE: I was a little put off by it. I mean...a plain, coordinating colored jacket or hoodie seems ok to me. Like I said above, it smacks of a forced fund-raiser to me.

KVEGAS911: And this was after I watched your video you put up. And as I said above, the middle school doesn't have uniforms! Nada! Most gangs recruit from the middle schoolers on up, so why does my 1st and 3rd grader have to wear a uniform? Is there a ring of milk money cofidence men there?

LADY JAYE: Anywhere else I have ever been has always given the option of purchasing the plain shirts and outerwear as long as it matched the approved colors as set down by the school. Once again...seems like a forced fund raiser!

Finn said...

We just have school colors in dress policy. Khaki, green, white and yellow. No outerwear requirements at all.

We also can fill out an exemption -- can you do that? Because honestly? That is bullshit and discrimminates against lower-income families. This is a public school, right?

Blondefabulous said...

FINN: Yes, they are a public school, so you would think they would be more open to the poorer attendees they have there. I guess because they have a "students in need" program for families who cant afford the uniform cost, but if they'd just let parents purchase non-logo shirts from Target or Wallyworld, they wouldn't have to do that. It's insane.

metalmom said...

What would happen if you just didn't do it? I mean, seriously, are they going to put your kid out? It's illegal for a pulic school to do that. Are they going to take it out on your kids? I doubt that, but if they did, you certainly have a case worthy of "pro bono" work from a willing lawyer.

You could make a few bucks on this deal if it plays out right. Then you can send me a check for the suggestion. Make it out to Metalmom. M-E-T-A-L....

HoosierGirl5 said...

My kids go to Catholic school and have worn uniforms all their school lives. I love them. The younger kids are allowed to buy plain red or white shirts and plain navy shorts. The high school requires the kids to wear THEIR shirts and monogrammed pants/skirts. But we have always started out slow: 2 or 3 shirts and a couple pairs of pants to start. And they can wear any outerware, but we Do have a lot of the sweatshirts and other stuff.

Hang in there. You're doing the right thing by helping them to fit in.

J.