Monday, September 15, 2008

Sickly Monday.

Well, my Monday that I had planned went all to heck in a hand basket. I had grand plans. Plans for steam cleaning my carpet, washing the dog, working out with my new friend in the building across the lake, perhaps a nice long walk with the dog down the linear park, oh, and playing the Wii. But, alas, it was not to be......

I got up this morning and got Rebecca off and running to her school. As I was sending her out the door, Junior gets up and settles on the couch to watch TV and eat his breakfast. I didn't notice he was a little sluggish, didn't see the "blah" eyes he had. I got Morgan up as well, and when she came out to check her blood sugar, she mentioned she had a headache and didn't feel so good. I felt her forehead and darn but if she didn't have a temperature! I look over to Junior and feel his forehead and he had a fever as well. Of course with the fever, their sugar #'s were up a little high, so school was out for them! I wasn't feeling too hot either, but I just chalked it up to a late night and too much Wii. Apparently I wasn't immune to the fever bug either, because I got into a hot shower and snuggled down into bed with Junior and we slept for another 4 hours! I feel OK now, but man that was weird. The kids are OK now too, but I will have to keep an eye on Morgan. Why, you ask? Let me tell you...

The school my kids go to has a policy that if your child just has a cold, sniffle, runny nose, or cough, go ahead and send them so they do not get behind. If your child has a fever, keep them at home. I can deal with this. At the Open House, I asked both Morgan's and Junior's teachers if they would please move my kids away from sick seat mates, seeing as how with the diabetes, they don't heal as fast as a normal, healthy child. I have noticed over the years that My kids(the diabetic's) will hang on to a cold or flu bug much longer that my normal kid(Rebecca). Something about the diabetes makes them more susceptible to catching little Johnny Seatmate's pestilence faster also! I asked politely, voiced my concerns, and the reasons why this was necessary. Each of the teachers nodded, and assured me that this was easily done. OK. I find out last week on Thursday that Morgan has been sitting next to a coughing, snot sputtering germ factory of a kid all week!! ALL WEEK!!! I was nice! I had asked politely! I gave sound, medical reasons why this was necessary! I WAS IGNORED!!!!! I wrote a pointed note in Morgan's planner about my earlier request for sitting her AWAY from the sniffly children. It must have worked, because Morgan came home saying she had been moved. Still, if you are going to have a policy that says send sick kids to school, why not have a seating arrangement for them so they do not infect the other kids in the class?? Why infect the whole class with that crap? And what about kids like mine who are more likely to catch the tiniest of cold germs?? I send germicidal hand gel, and tissues to school with them and I hope it gets used, but in the end, it is the teachers I have to rely on to help me out here....and I feel sometimes they are so overburdened with their tasks, that they get paid waaaaay too little for, that some of the small things get lost in the shuffle. I do have to say that my kids classrooms have 17 and 18 kids to a teacher respectively....so at least they aren't over crowded.... but still, I have to try and keep my kids as healthy as possible. Aside from sending them to school in Hazmat Suits, I gotta try to remind the teachers to help me out a little.

It's not too much to ask, right?

11 comments:

Putz said...

i guess you can't keep your sweet kids in a glass bubble, and i really don't haave any advice...i guess i just wished it weren't so...but it is...teachers think they have too much to do all ready, we tried to get teachers to wear comtecs with our almost deaf kids and to some it was confining..

Christina LMT said...

Putz, you beat me to it!

I was going to say that this post reminds me of the movie with John Travolta, "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble!"

Hope you guys get better fast!

lady jaye said...

Ok, what kind of school has a policy on sending sick kids to class? Geez...I hope you and the kids feel better soon!

Blondefabulous said...

PUTZ: I don't want a bubble, just a seating chart that seats the ill children apart from the well ones.

CHRISTINA LMT: No bubbles here, just if you're going to have the sick kids come to school, be prepared to move them a little away from the rest of the kids. Germs are one thing I DON'T want my kids sharing!

LADY JAYE:I think it is because of the FCAT's, which is our state's yardstick for if schools are sucessful in their teaching. The school wants the kids in the class as much as possible so they can prepare them for FCAT's.

metalmom said...

When my kids were in school, we were told on the first day to send in a box of tissues and hand sanitizer. When my kids got colds, they were repeatedly told to sit down when they went to the teacher's desk to get tissues! I asked why they couldn't keep "their" tissues on their desk, I was told that they were for the use of the whole class!

Many teachers have more than enough 'book smarts' but very little 'common sense smarts'.

Good luck with the germ warfare!!

Blondefabulous said...

METALMOM: Wow! Told to bring tissues, but told to sit down when they needed one, huh? That makes LOADS of sense! NOT!!! My kids, having medical problems already, really need to be kept away from the sicklies! I'll just have to be a little more vigilent about checking that they keep the sick kids away from mine.

Karen Sugarpants said...

hope you feel better! here's to a better tuesday huh?

Blondefabulous said...

I'm feeling better and so are the munchkins! I just think if they are going to have a policy that allows for sick kids being sent to school, they should have a plan for how to keep them from sharing their germs with the rest of the class, ya know??

kvegas911 said...

How crappy that they couldn't take your children's diabetes into consideration after a sound medical explanation from you. Shameful. Hope you and the kiddos feel better soon! (I'm staying home tonight myself)

Blondefabulous said...

KVEGAS911: really, right? And what if it was Cancer treatment, or some sort of lung disease my kids had and not just diabetes? Would they still sit Johnny Snots-A-Lot next to my kids? I wonder....

me said...

uhhh...one word

life?

you will have to shot me an email

i don't discuss it in an "open forum"

i help people, have for about 30 years---
don't worry, i'm not selling or trying to get you to sell
charfread@gmail.com