Sunday, September 21, 2008

She Blinded Me With Science!!!

Science Fair season is here again. It seems to come a little earlier here on the west coast. Rebecca has chosen, "How much starch is contained in different types of bread?" Sounds easy enough, right? Well it is. We just jaunt down to the CVS and get some iodine, some bread, and dribble the iodine on the bread and graph the color results. Not too terribly difficult, but I am not so sure we can get a good project out of it. The project seems so simple that there isn't a lot of wow factor in it. It's not her fault though. She was asked to pick a science fair project the second day she was at school. Usually we research the different topics online, check out how intricate it could be, and make the decision from there. I say "we" because now a days the teachers send home forms that say ...."yes, I will supervise my child's science project, yes I will make sure my child works according to guidelines set forth by the teacher, and yes, I will make sure my child completes all assignments on time." You actually have to sign this and send it back or your child will get a "0" for the grade. Yep, they even get a grade on whether or not they bring back the paper filled out and signed by the parents. Sheesh! I remember when I had to do all that stuff my self, with no Internet, uphill, 3 miles, in the blinding snow!!! OK, maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration, but we did have to research the topics and do all that stuff ourselves. I never had to ask my mom to sign a paper saying she would babysit me through my science assignments. Is that what we have come to now a days? Do we have to babysit kids to make sure they get their education?? Hmmmmm....we, as a society, may be in trouble.



So, I have to go and get Rebecca some iodine and some bread. We are going to be testing white bread, whole wheat bread, South Beach diet bread, and gluten free bread. The prevailing hypothesis is that the diet bread will have less starch in it seeing as how it is low carb. We don't know....that is why it is called an experiment. I am hoping for a repeat of last year(well...this year...), where Rebecca got a first place in her school, and an honorable mention at county! Maybe if we tie in something cool, like Morgan's and my Gluten allergy to it we could get a more interesting angle and better attention to it? I don't know. What I do know, is that she and I are in this to win this. I signed a paper saying so.......so bring on the bread baby.

5 comments:

Putz said...

my little rebecca, had a science project where she tried rock music and it's effect on mice.....studied their heart rates and nervous tension and had a maze...when they didm't listen to rock music they made it through the maze 8 seconds faster than when rock music blasted them and then tried the maze

Finn said...

I hate science fair projects... and I hate that they force the kids to do them. I've got enough to do without adding more work. I let Dad handle them. Which is stressfull in itself.

Queen of clean said...

We didn't do anything so exciting in school....we had great fun with bunsen burners though!!

Blondefabulous said...

PUTZ: I can believe it, with some of the music I have heard today! Maybe we should try that, only with Gangster Rap.

FINN: I was one of those nerds that liked doing the science fair! It would have been a hereditary thing because Rebecca like doing the experiments too! It is crappy that schools have to mandate participation though. I guess participation got to a really low point that made that move necessary.

QUEENIE: We used to take the bunsen burners and melt the glass tubes to make blown glass sculpture.

GirlintheCrosswalk said...

Hi!

I think this bread thing could turn out really cool.

Maybe make a super, super cool graph and include photos of the color changes with a color change key of how starchy things are... like take a photo for color on pure starch and one of just iodine for comparison. And have bread for taste testing...

And it might be pretty cool to include research on starch's effect on the body, different types of starch, how the body breaks it down, and perhaps even how starch breaks down over time and does it have anything to do with how quickly breads will go stale or get moldy...

I dunno, just thought some more ideas might help.

And I would say definite yes on tying in the allergies.

Best of luck to you guys on the project! It sounds really exciting! :)