Saturday, August 16, 2008

All The Way Fay.....

Why? Just why?
I have been asking that all day. As I have been filling our reusable water containers, I have been asking that. As I have been cataloging and packing up the kids insulin's and medical supplies, I have been asking that. As I have been packing my children's back packs for the first day of school on Monday, I have been asking that. A hurricane! A hurricane that is predicted to hit on the second day of school! A hurricane that is going to impact the complex that HHH works for and that we are going to move to! HHH may be staying the night at the complex so he doesn't have to drive in the fury of the storm come Monday night/Tuesday morning. If this was any other time during hurricane season, I wouldn't be worrying, but I have one child who has to walk a quarter mile to a bus stop, two other ones who have to ride a bus to school, and a hubby who has to drive for an hour and a half to and from his job! Sheesh. AND,......... school starts Monday. It was funny as hell to see people loading up carts at the Wall to Wall Mart with school supplies and hurricane supplies at the same time! (I think I tweeted that yesterday.)
As a parent of two medically needy children, I am always prepared on June 1st if not before! I have several bottles of each insulin, 3 boxes of syringes, 3 boxes of test strips, many glucagons, etc, etc, etc..... We have nonperishable food, a can opener, and a gas grill with a side burner! I am a born and raised Floridian, I have survived hurricane season from my first which was called Hurricane David, to now Fay. (I missed the crapfest which happened two years ago due to being up north in Tennessee.) I can do this and see my family through it.....it's just the timing that is pissing me off! My eldest daughter, who is starting Junior High on Monday, is worried she won't be able to go to school on Tuesday. My youngest, two who are in elementary school, are hoping they don't have to go to school. I am hoping HHH doesn't have to drive through a shitty weather situation. I even tanked on going to the kick off party, not because I was chickening out, but because we needed to conserve gas in the car. We filled up on Thursday, and when we went back into town to pick up school supplies, the lines for gas were out to the street! I'm not going to tempt fate, I'll just go to the restaurant and see my big sis another day, or go to another party,.... you know..... when there isn't a hurricane bearing down on us!
So, I am going to clear out the chest freezer tomorrow, freeze about4 or 5 of out reusable water containers so I have fresh water and ice available, and I am going to start cleaning up the yard and getting all the kids toys, various yard ornaments, and other crap put away. Nothing like being prepared for the worst and hoping for the best!
What can I say....I am a Floridian Mom!

6 comments:

HoosierGirl5 said...

You go girl! Sounds like you have it all under control. And yes, the timing stinks. The first week of school is crazy enough as it is. I feel sorry for the teachers, too. They will have kids who are even more wound up. I hope your daughter does well on her first week in junior high - it's a big step, I know. Maybe it will downgrade, like they sometimes do, or change paths. I'll say a prayer for you, the hubby, and the kids.

J.

Nicole said...

Wow - you are SOOOO much more prepared than we are! I'm gonna go get gas today, maybe some water. (Shrug) I'm not sweating it now, cause everytime I do - It goes elsewhere. And so now I'm virtually guarnteeing that it will hit me directly!

Putz said...

was fay gay?

Blondefabulous said...

HOOSIERGIRL5: Yeah, I got this. I just wish it wasn't going to hit on the second day of school! They are saying it will slow over Cuba, but gain once over the open Gulf waters. Hmph...stupid hurricane.

NICOLE: We did the fill up and stuff earlier in the weekend, and now we are just waiting to see what happens. I always found having reusable water containers better than buying gallons upon gallons of water. The stores usually run out after a while.

PUTZ: And also....What ever happened to Fay Wray??

metalmom said...

I'd keep them home the day of the storm. I kept my kids home if they threatened thunder! (Not really...but I should have a few times!)

Blondefabulous said...

METALMOM: I used to keep ther kids home on bad weather days when we lived up in Memphis, TN. In the spring it was a regular thing for me to check the forcast for the week and decide if it was OK to go to school. MCS was notorious for trying to bus kids in crappy weather...not safe at all!