Friday, November 30, 2007

Happy Birthday Rebecca & the Gift Debate.


So, today is my daughter's 11th birthday. Time has marched on and she is growing up faster than I am happy with. As posted before, we went to Toys R Expensive and looked at what the kids might like for Christmas. I was also keeping an eye on Rebecca to see what she might like for her birthday. Man, that place is a money trap if I ever saw one! Yeah, the kids like it, but look in the eyes of the parents and try to see any hope. There is none! Now, for the last couple of years, the store has begun to advertise some toys that they say are "exclusive" to Toys R Expensive and you can only get these special products from Toys R Expensive. Look anywhere else and you are shit out of luck. Too bad, so sad. I thought monopolies were illegal? Especially at Christmas! Luckily, my daughter wants Pokemon cards, and dolls that are relatively inexpensive. I still may try to go to the Wall To Wall Mart to find some of the things she has asked for. That's another place that gets to me at Christmas. They advertise these sales for the day after Thanksgiving saying there are only so many available at the sale price, then they lock the doors as people start to line up and finally when they open the doors for the eventual stampede and melee', they sit back and watch the fun. The very next week, Wall To Wall Mart will bring in 15 more pallets of the same product. I figured this out early on and now don't even bother with the whole Day after Thanksgiving shopping frenzy. There will always be something for me to get for my family.


Ugh, I got off topic. So my daughter is at school right now. I am going to ice her cake a little later. It is a poured fudge icing that has been passed down through our family for years. It's really good. Satisfies your craving for Chocolate and Cake in the same bite. We have her little friend coming over at around 7pm, because we have to go to .......Wall To Wall Mart! But I have to go to the pharmacy to pick up some scripts for the kids. Rebecca is also going to cash in her gift card she got from her Grandfather.


Now for something totally unrelated. What commercials on TV bug you the most. Now that it is the season for buying, (I'd have said season of giving, but the advertisers have pounded that out of my head.), the commercials have gotten hip deep in B.S. and sappy scenes. It is no secret I have been brainwashed by the Garmin GPS commercials in the early morning. (Your Garmin will arrive after the holidays.) Along with that one, the Wall to Wall Mart commercial promising more clerks on duty to avoid long lines while doing your holiday shopping. What a load! They were just as short staffed as ever and the lines were even longer! Commercials that out and out lie get me angry. Oh, and the credit card companies that encourage you to overspend so they can get more fees from you. Bleck! Even the Grinch, with it's message of people before things, has become a money raking venture. Maybe I am just old fashioned.


Kitty pit stop! Fluffy wants some love. My friendly cat is up here wanting to play. Yes I said FRIENDLY cat. He is big, sweet, and thinks he's a dog most of the time. You know, rolls over for belly rubs and will fetch on rare occasions. Weird right? Well, I have a cake to ice, you have things to do. Comment on those commercials..... I'll check back!

3 comments:

Russ said...

Holy Cow, what to pick, what to pick. There are so many. I'll have to start with the sappy Hallmark commercials that start before Thanksgiving and make my pregnant wife cry for no apparent reason. There was another one that I was sick of as soon as it was released, but I have managed to block that one out of my head.

Blondefabulous said...

Oh those get me too! And Hallmark keeps running corney ones for those plush singing snowmen and junk. Love how the commercial shows the whole family around the table watching the dorky thing sing... in real life, mom would be cleaning up shredded wrapping paper, dad would be yelling at a misc. College bowl game, and the kids would be tear-assing around the house with their new toys. Well at least that's my family.....

Russ said...

lol, well my boy is only 20 months so his "tear-assing" has a way to go yet. As to Mom cleaning and me watching some toilet bowl on tv...(reality, I'm hiding in the kitchen from my in-laws).